Yes we love swimming but no we don’t like our after-swimming skin: itchy, red, dry, cracked or even wrinkled.
The following five tips can help you keep a soft skin even if you’re swimming a lot.
1) It may seem a little obvious but the first skin-care tip we can give you is to drink water! Before and after swimming. Why? Because dehydration make it harder to restore your body’s natural moisture.
2) Right after a good swimming session, take a long bath or shower and put loads of moisturizer on your skin. Most of the cream will be absorbed and your skin will thank you for this.
3) Wash your swimming costume with fresh water immediately after you come out of the pool to get rid of the chlorine.
4) If, after your shower, your skin is still:
- Itchy or red = Put some ice cubes in a clean towel and rub it over your skin to reduce the itchiness or redness.
- Dry = instead of applying a simple moisturizing cream, try Baby Oil or Vaseline.
5) Supplement your diet with nutrients rich in vitamin E and C. Whilst vitamin C is an excellent antioxidant, vitamin E improves the skin’s moisture retention capability.
If your skin often feels irritated after swimming, try changing the type of chemicals you use for your pool maintenance. Try our Soft Swim range for example; this is a revolutionary and very skin friendly mineral pool maintenance range.
Also please note that the chemical balance and cleanliness of your pool is an important factor in maintaining skin health. See one of our previous blogs such as the Four Easy Cleaning Steps for your pool for some useful tips.
Do you have any question or doubts? Feel free to contact one of our experts!